“In founding Pinion, I am living my dream.
Developing sophisticated products, together with a great team, which contribute to the improvement of the bicycle: it fills me with pride, and it’s a lot of fun!”
MADE IN GERMANY
to the highest standards
Awards for Pinion and innovative Pinion-equipped bikes
RENNSTAHL 853 PINION
GERMAN DESIGN AWARD 2019
DESIGN & INNOVATION
TOP 3 COMPANIES
German Founders Award 2017
Innovation Award, the state of Baden-Württemberg 2016
EUROBIKE AWARD 2016
BIKE MILESTONE 2011
“We’re bringing cutting-edge automotive technology to bikes,
and offering a whole new riding and shifting experience.”
We champion in-house
Engineering, Design and Testing
Assembled by hand
100 % in Germany
“Your gearbox is in good hands with us. With our wealth of knowledge and
years of experience, we’ll get things rolling again.”
ANDRÉ, Technical Support
- Christoph Lermen and Michael Schmitz come up with the idea for a gearbox-based bicycle shifting system at Porsche’s development center in Weissach, Germany.
- Lermen and Schmitz decide to develop a production-ready gearbox.
- Test ride of the first gearbox prototype, which was still built with three gearing sub-units.
Endurance test on the test bench
- Commissioning of an in-house developed gearbox testing rig. The first employee is hired.
- Extreme cyclist Felix Fröhlich crosses the Himalayas with a Pinion gearbox prototype. The gearbox works flawlessly.
- The first bicycle manufacturers begin frame development for the gearbox, which now bears the official name P1.18.
- Move to the company headquarters in Denkendorf and start of serial production.
- By this time, 30 bicycle manufacturers offer the P1.18 gearbox in production models.
- Three more gearbox variations are added: P1.12, P1.9CR, P1.9XR, which are designed for specific applications.
More bicycle manufacturers
- By this time, around 50 well-known bicycle manufacturers are building bikes with Pinion gearboxes.
- Pinion introduces its second line of gearboxes. Pinion gearbox technology is now accessible in upper mid-range bikes.
- Pinion North America becomes the sales and service partner for the North American market.
- Thomas Raith joins the previous founding duo as the third managing director. By this time, more than 100 bicycle manufacturers from around the world offer Pinion bicycles and E-bikes.
New company headquarters
- Pinion moves into a new company headquarters in Denkendorf, where more than 50 employees now work.
- The proven Pinion Gearbox – now with electric shifting.
NEW MAJORITY OWNER
- Pinion with new majority owner BRP. BRP is a global leader in powersports products & drivetrain systems.
PINION IN NORTH AMERICA
- VPL is new partner for Pinion Sales and Service in North America
- Pinion introduces revolutionary e-bike drive system. The Pinion MGU, it combines motor and gearbox into one unit.